Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Late start. Project C-S Cyclone

Even though I haven't posted any updates to my Counter-steer Cyclone project, doen't mean I haven't been working on it. I have just be very busy with other stuff right now. But finally I have a change to go over what I started with and my 1st tuning attempt.

To start with I am working with my Hot Bodies Cyclone S. It always drifted pretty well out of the box with only a few changes, but now it is really good. The speed is med-fast and transitions are really easy to control. There is only a slight off throttle understeer depending on the track. The major upgrades where the new style solid rear diff, HPI pro shocks (super nice shocks!!!), 150wt oil, and Yokomo titanium "Soft" springs all around. The other helpful mod was about 20g of weight to the front end and laying down the shocks more. (power is 8.5 Novak Brushless with a GTB ESC)

With it running so good now, I was a little hesitent to modify it, but after see Katsumi's car and all the videos from D-Like, Japan, I am totally inspired to give it a try.

My 1st attempt was just adding a few off the selve HPI/HB upgrades. A pro front 1-way and a 18T rear small pulley. The result was for sure less understeer, but still too stable for any noticable counter-steer. The set-up was easy to drive, because it was still too stable. My next plan was to then change to a Pro diff for the rear, but since I figure the Front to Rear Gear Ratios are still to close, I will hold off on that untill I get some more parts to have a bigger difference in ratios.

I just got the other parts in and plan to give them a try soon...

No comments: