Friday, February 20, 2009

Drift Package Light... I got it!!!

Today I was pleasantly surprised by a package in the mail. It was the Takara/Tomy - Yokomo Drift Package Light, I ordered on eBay last month. It took forever to get here, but it was pretty cheep. 30 for the car but unfortunately 20 for shipping. Good part though there was an ebay discount coupon.

Anyways the car looks really cool. The quality of the body is Yokomo all the way. Detailed, almost a good as the Kyosho Mini Zs. There is some simple building you have to do. But it's pretty easy. All in all looking at the instructions pictures, it took literally 10 minutes to do.

I don't have any batteries for it yet, but from the videos of it I found on Youtube, it should drift pretty good.

After studying it for a while, I think the car is cooler then I thought it would be. There are two motors. One drives a solid driveshaft to the front and rear wheels. The key here however is it is overdriven! That's right!!! Just like a counter steer setup, the front and rear wheels spin at different rates to be able to keep the rear kicked out. The other cool part is the rear is a solid diff and the front is a soild diff with a built in 1-way. This makes the front handle like a solid with a 1-way shaft. Pretty cool! I am excited to give it a try. (Standard all plastic tires, but angle so they tires have camber for the right look)

On the other hand the transmitter is less then what I expected. It seems pretty small and I thought the steering would be analog, but actually it's almost like a 4-button controller. If you turn the wheel left, you can feel it press a button for left (so full left) This works because there is a built in mechanism which returns it the straight position once you let go. The throttle is the same way full throttle or off. So I am guessing you drive it with a pumping throttle style like some people do with the 10th scale cars. (I don't usually drive it like that, but shouldn't be too bad I think.)

Anyways, I let you guys know how it drifts, after I get 6 AAAs (3 for the car and 3 for the remote) and some time...
I am guessing this is a good way to get more people hooked on RC drifting for not too much money. It's cheep enough to teach your girlfriend or kids with, while still getting the real feel of it.

No comments: