Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Two key points for Counter-Steer.

Two important areas for Counter-Steer tuning seem to be Final Gearing and Caster. After driving another well tuned C/S car, I noticed you really need to gear your car for good balance between the grip of the front wheels and the slip of the rear wheels. Seems like my pinion was way too big so I could only use a little throttle before the rear would catch grip and I would have to straighten the wheels to keep it drifting. After asking a few experts, I think I know what gearing I need, the only problem now is, I don't have that small of a pinion and I am really not sure if that size will fit. I also looked into putting a larger Spur, but I am pretty sure the 108T, I have (maybe 110) is as big as you can go, (safely on a Cyclone S.) I think I will have to get a smaller pinion and modify the motor mounting (and maybe the chassis) to get it to fit.

Here's my 108 Spur with a 30 pinion, I think need to go smaller!

The other thing I noticed is how much adding Caster helped. I guess since you are trying to keep it counter-steered, it is important to have the right tire patch on the ground. (Especially the outside tire) For now I have these cool Kawada tires so I don't have to worry too much about the camber setting for now. (But I think to really know if it is tuned right, it should work well on Yokomo Zero One tires. That will be the true test... but I'm not there yet!)

No comments: