Monday, March 16, 2009

Full night of Tuning @ Arai...


This past Sat, I finally got a chance to test out the countersteer Cyclone on an Arai track. Boy was this fun! With the help of the rest of the guys, I was able to get a better idea of what I need to do with the set-up. The only problem was I was so excited about tuning and driving, I totally forgot to take any pictures or video. Luckly for me, Katsumi's Blog (http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/corollacupe) has some great pictures.

For tuning purposes, I borrowed some new Kawada Med Drift Tires from Katsumi, to take Yok Tire Camber setting out of the equation for now. Once I get it sorted out better, I plan to put the Yoks back on.

One important key, I learned, was the importance of final gearing. Seems like my pinion was and still is, a little to big. The larger pinion makes it easier to drive (stability) but doesn't allow you to use an idea powerband for keeping the rear out and keeping countersteer. I was surprised to learn how much difference the smaller pinion makes. I am still playing around with the ideal gearing now, but will let you all know later what I discover on that.

Another thing I tried that seemed to help was putting a slightly stiffer spring in the rear. But I guess that would be kind of obvious. One not so obvious is the importance of equal steering. It is important to not to have toe out in the front, cause the outside wheel steering decreases. This seems to be very important!

In two weeks, the Arai guys will be helping out Driftspeed with a outdoor session at Zero One motors, hopefully I can get the CS car out there for some outdoor CS Dori action too...


I couldn't get full counter steer on the straight, but there definately was some...

No comments: