Monday, June 22, 2009

CS Session 3 Test and My Results...

This past Sat, I had a long session getting to tryout various front to rear gear ratios on both my CS Cyclone and Driftmaster CS.

First I compared the grip I had on the Cyclone with the a 40/15 vs 32/23 set up. To get it to work right for me I had to modify the engine mounts so I could run a crazy 80/15 Spur and Pinion. This worked out to a 1.87 to 1 ratio. This made full lock countersteer drifting, but the rear end was just didn't have enough traction for my style of driving. After trying a few other ratios, I ended back at more conservative 1.668 to 1 (40/15 vs 32/20 with a 80/17)Which works pretty good, but still just not enough traction in quick transitions. But I think with some more suspension tuning, this might be the way to go for me.

Next I set my attention to my Driftmaster shaft-drive. With this I started off with the same 1.49 to 1 ratio. (42/15 vs 39/18). The car had much improved grip over the belt car, and was super fun to drive. The counter steer still wasn't that great. But then I got hooked up with a new 44T (which made it 1.56 to 1), this along with some more rear toe, and stiffer rear spring, made a pretty good improvement on countersteer. But still maintained all the traction I wanted. It was now super fun to drive. Again, I don't think this setup is ideal, because it could still use some more under or over drive. But for now it's still pretty fun. Below is a quick video Katsumi made of my car running at Arai.

From my test, and my driving style I am guess a good front to rear gear ratio is about 1.6 to 1.7... but I think depending on your driving style it could be way different.

I think with a little more practice this set-up is still capable of constant countersteer. I just need to get use to using a little less throttle. After we filmed, it got the hang of it a little better...

No comments: